for Cognitive and
Call for applications for the
ESCAN Travel Award
The goal of the ESCAN Travel Awards is to recognize student
researchers by supporting their ability to participate in the
society’s biennial meeting. The ESCAN Travel Awards specifically
aim to assist predoctoral student members who would not be able
to attend the meeting without funding from the Travel Awards
program. As such, we evaluate resources provided by your
graduate institution, laboratory of training, and aim at
including students from European countries which are not widely
represented at the meeting. Priorities will be given to students
from Southern and Eastern European countries.
Up to 10 awards will be made available each year of the
ESCAN conference. The award package includes:
- Recognition in the conference program
- Waived conference registration for attendance at the meeting
- Waived registration fee for the social dinner
- Additional funds for travel costs. This will be € 200 for
those traveling by airplane and € 400 for those using non-air
- Must be a student member of ESCAN.
- Awardees must not yet have a Ph.D. or other doctoral
level degree at the time of the meeting (e.g., be a current PhD
student, undergraduate student or post-baccalaureate
- First authorship on a paper or poster presentation that
is submitted and accepted for the conference
- Awards are dedicated to support students who would not
otherwise be able to attend. Applicants with sufficient funds
provided by their institution or research lab are requested not
to apply for the award. Applicants for the travel award will be
required to provide a statement of expected costs and how much
is covered by other sources. This will need to be verified with
their advisor. Furthermore, travel tickets need to be provided
for application for the non-air traffic scheme
- Awardees are expected to attend the entire meeting.
- Awardees will be limited to one ESCAN Travel Award during
their predoctoral training.
How to Apply
Applicants will be chosen primarily based on need and
stated commitment to ESCAN. To apply, please submit the
following by May 1, 2020, 23:59 CET. Please submit all
documents in the aforementioned order, as ONE single pdf file
named after the surname of the candidate (e.g., “SURNAME.pdf”)
- A copy of the abstract identical to the one that will be
submitted to the meeting. Please note that the applicant must
be the first author.
- Current one-page CV
- A 500 word or less statement of:
- Career goals, including planned use of psychophysiology
in your work
- Reason for wanting to attend the ESCAN meeting and how
attendance of the meeting and ongoing membership in ESCAN
will facilitate your career goals
- A statement of your financial need, and detailed
breakdown of cost of attending ESCAN and available support
from other sources (with a signature from advisor).
- Documentation from the advisor about what other funds
are available to you, to cover expenses for travel and
lodging associated with attendance at the meeting.
- Applications will be reviewed by the ESCAN board.
- Applicants will be notified by June 1, 2020.
- Applicants selected for an award must confirm by June 15
that they will attend the meeting. If you are selected but
unable to attend, we will offer the award to another student.
In order to submit an application, you must log in.